Welcome to my blog! I'll try to update it relatively often, I promise. Oh and I stuck Tetris down at the bottom because it looked cool, so have fun with that.

Monday, January 10, 2011

My classes here

Classes started today!  As weird as it is, I was actually pretty excited for school to start.  I went to one of the University regular enrollment classes and my intensive Spanish class (three hours a day, Monday through Friday, for three weeks), and let me just say that this is going to be an amazing break from all the ochem, biomedical engineering (done with that one forever!), and physics classes.

Okay so here's the deal with my schedule:

When I was signing up for classes before I left UT, I knew I really really wanted to take one of the regular enrollment classes at the University.  However, my study abroad advisor wouldn't sign my paper because I didn´t have a lot of hours of Spanish credit under my belt (I have the absolute minimum that my program, CIEE, would allow).  So I gave it up and chose only HESP classes (specific for exchange students).

However, when I arrived in Barcelona I realized that I still really wanted to try taking a normal class because I knew I'd be missing out if I didn't.  So I talked with the resident director and found out that I did well on the placement exam, so I will now be taking Arte Contemporáneo at La Universitat Pompeu Fabra!  Take that, UT advisor.

By another stroke of luck, my friend, Alyssa, happens to also be in that class.  We went to it together today and it went really well.  I could understand a lot more than I thought I´d be able to (though I´ll admit that sometiems I had no idea what the prof was saying...), and it was very interesting as well.  We pretty much spent the whole time analyzing a couple different paintings, photos, and sculptures on the overhead.  It´s going to be a challenge, but I´m definitely excited.

My intensive Spanish class will also be interesting and challenging, but kind of difficult to get through. From 3 to 6, five times a week...  Not to mention that pretty much everyone in my class has 5 or 6 semesters of experience, while I only have 4.  But the harder I have to work the more I´ll get out of it, so fine by me!

And this concludes my long rant for today.  Hasta luego!

3 comments:

  1. wow. classes at a university outside of America! That's just so cool :) Have fun!! and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, I am so happy you were able to get in a regular university class! Good for you for trying!! My 1st comment somehow got lost so this is my 2nd try. Three hours of Spanish 5x a week - wow. I read all your blogs so keep posting. Have you toured any sights, buildings yet? Lee/Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose. Did you get my e-mail? Is it 0111 hours there?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete